Welcome to Dungeon Fighter Online Forums!
A Dungeon Fighter Online fansite, based around the mechanics of the game.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

M Ranger vs. F Ranger ~ an analysis by Archie

Discussion in 'Gunner' started by Archie, Jun 26, 2010.

1. Archie Mexocan

~A WORK IN PROGRESS~
    (I'll be learning more and more things as I keep leveling my F ranger. All input is appreciated.)

They all know me as some guy who knows a lot about rangers. Well, just M rangers when the F gunner patch came along. So, I made my own female ranger, because they're so interestingly different.

~Stat differences~

~Starting Stats~
    [table="width=40%"]|M Gunner|F Gunner
    HP|160|150
    MP|160|170
    STR|6|6
    VIT|6|6
    INT|5|5
    SPR|5|5
    Max weight|33kg|33kg
    MP regen|50|50
    Move spd|820|850
    Atk spd|950|950
    Cast spd|800|500
    Hit Recovery|600|550
    Jump Str|490|440
    Jump Spd|80|80
    Weight 60|48
    [/table]

~Stat Growths~
    [table="width=50%"]|M Gunner|F Gunner|M Ranger|F Ranger
    HP|40|37.5|47.5|45
    MP|30|32.5|22.5|25
    STR|3|3|4|4
    VIT|3|3|4|4
    INT|3|3|2|2
    SPR|3|3|2|2
    Max weight|0.3kg|0.3kg|0.3kg|0.3kg
    MP regen|2.5|2.5|2.5|25
    Hit recovery|1|1|2|2
    [/table]

~General Mechanics~

The X attack combo

It might not be a skill, but this has to be added somewhere.

With our final shot of the x attack combo, both gunners draw out their other gun to shoot a noticeably stronger bullet that knocks things down. Their hitboxes for that final shot are different.

The male gunner's hitbox for that final shot is closer to where they are standing, while the female gunner's hitnox is moved farther away. If timed just right, I can take advantage of this on my F ranger to dodge naias ranged attacks when they aim at me while I shoot.

The dash attack

Female gunners slide farther

~Ranger skills~

[IMG][IMG]
    Jack Spike vs. Marilyn Rose

[HIDE="Jack Spike is better for defense. Marilyn Rose is better for comboing."]
    Jack Spike's super armor lasts a lot longer because Jack is a lot slower than Rose. I've seen Jack Spike and Marilyn Rose being used against each other in PvP, Jack Spike always wins.

Marilyn Rose, is a lot faster and has much better range, but because it's faster, its superarmor doesn't last nearly as long as Jack. When my F gunner fought Ring's slayer, Rose has really done a bad job of protecting my gunner. =/ Damn you Ring, luls

Also, because of Rose's range, its cancel is much more easily usable compared to Jack cancel. Then again, I've infinite juggled in PvE with this skill without the cancel.[/HIDE]

[IMG]
    Rising Shot

F Ranger's cooldown for this skill is .4s seconds shorter. Everything else is the same

[IMG][IMG]
    Windmill vs. Topspin Kick

[HIDE="Windmill is better for defensive uses, Topspin is better for offensive uses"]
    Windmill has a cooldown that is .5 seconds shorter in both PvE and PvP, letting you spam it more often than you would with topspin. That is very important to me because my own playstyle involves a ton of grab abuses and close quarter combat especially when there are a lot of monsters involved. When I am in the middle of a giant mob, I cannot afford to find myself spam pressing a hotkey with its skill in cooldown.

The reason why Topspin Kick is better for offense is that it has a bigger range, has a small launch effect on aerial monsters, can OTG with both hits (where windmill can only OTG with its second kick), and with the F ranger's awakening passive, topspin can proc bleed. But with its .5 second cooldown, I cannot rely on topspin as much as windmill for defensive offense.

Also, windmill's first kick has better X axis (and probably Y axis) reach than its second kick while the second kick can OTG. Both of Topspin's kicks have identical ranges.
    [/HIDE]

[IMG][IMG]
    Punisher vs. Spriggan

[HIDE="Punisher is better for defensive mob control, Spriggan is better for combos and everything else (are you guys seeing a pattern?)"]
    Punisher's cooldown is a whole second shorter, letting you use Punisher more often than you would for spriggan. Punisher's shockwave is placed right where you are standing (instead of in front of you like Spriggan does), it easily knocks down a mob that's trying to run you over.

However, the hype over Spriggan is its range. You can OTG with Spriggan while Punisher can't grab downed enemies. Spriggan also can become the F gunner's crouch, letting you dodge attacks when timed correctly. Beware of Spriggan's lack of Z axis range, it made my trip to Dragonoid's Nest, Golem's Tower, and Puppet Museum more difficult.

Both are good skills, it just depends on how you use those skills.[/HIDE]

[IMG][IMG]
    Mach Kick vs. Needle Sobat

Needle Sobat has a cooldown .5 seconds longer, that's about it.

[IMG]
    Headshot

Female Ranger's headshot has a cooldown that is .8 seconds shorter.

[IMG][IMG]
    Air Raid vs. Sonic Spike

[HIDE="You can rarely go wrong with Air Raid. Sonic spike is better in many situations, but sometimes, it's better to not sonic spike."]
    With Air Raid, you launch yourself high in the air where not very many things can hurt you. Air Raid also does better damage than Sonic Spike.

Sonic Spike is basically a sideways Air Raid. You launch yourself forward with this skill and push enemies along with you. This is great for clustering mobs where you want them (luls sonic spiking mobs into an exorcist charging their STiS :D), or just escaping from a mess. However, sonic spike can launch you into an undesirable place like into a pool of lava, or into monsters that can easily attack you as you land. Not only that, when you are partied up, you can easily push mobs away from your team mate's attacking range,

From personal experiences, Sonic Spike is an iffy skill against fairies since they're unlaunchable. If a miss registers, a fairy can easily turn around as you land, and hit you.

Air raid isn't without its [/HIDE]

[IMG]
    Multi Headshot(Or Multi Western Fire for F rangers =p)

F ranger's have a slightly stronger MHS. Their MHS lasts longer, that's up to you whether that's good or bad

[IMG][IMG]
    Wildshot vs. Gun Dance

[HIDE="Wildshot is generally stronger. Gun Dance has more utility to make up for its lack of power (but not completely)"]
    Wildshot is everybody's favorite overpowered cube skill. It is that simple and straight forward pew-pewing in every direction to piss everything off at a something-something pixel radius.

Gun Dance, is a flashier version of Wildshot. Not only does the F ranger shoot bullets everywhere, but her skill has some meleeing ability that procs bleed effects, letting her do more damage as she draws her guns. The skill also has a launch effect to instantly juggle whatever happens to be in range.

However, Gun dance is weaker than Wildshot unless something is in range of both the gun fire and gun meleeing, where Wildshot does 100% per hit, Gun Dance does 50% per shot and 85% per melee if both skills were level 1. Note that the melee does not benefit from DbR, so both skills will par each other if Gun Dance hits something with both gunfire and melee.

For the lols, I've noticed that when I took my lvl 40 F Ranger to Floating Castle at kings, DbR stacked with the vile beast's attack buff, Gun Dance doesn't do enough damage to kill the Goblin Assassin, or any other mob often times.

Also, Gun Dance sucks baawls if you're gonna poke with this skill on heavy targets. When I tested Gun Dance on White Tiger, one of the practice dummies, its launch effect is so low, White Tiger just falls to the ground where the gunfire won't even touch him. The melee hits him though, only because his hitbox is that big.

Wildshot might not have its launch, but it shouldn't be hard to launch your target before using wildshot to keep them from getting hit out of range. If you're talking about entire mobs for PvE, G-14 buster can easily launch the entire mob.

I've also heard about a vaccuum effect for Gun Dance. How it really works is that the gun fire hitstuns things towards you, as I've tested it on practice dummies. This utility is going to make it easier for scrubs who only knows how to poke with Gun Dance, as it will make it harder for their opponent to walk out of wildshot's range.
    [/HIDE]

~Non-Class skills~
    Yeah, this thread is about rangers. That's true, but this section is important for those who are interested in PvP.

[IMG]
    G-14 Buster

[HIDE="Male gunners WILL make use of their grenades much better than female gunners. Out of all of the other non-class skills, this is the difference that puts female and male rangers on separate PvP tiers"]
    Female gunners have a delay that's about a second long, from hitting their grenade hotkey and actually throwing the grenade. Even though their rising shot has a shorter cooldown, their grenade delay basically makes one of a gunner's most important combo starting skills extremely hard to use.

Even in PvE, G-14 has its uses. Male rangers can easily use the launch from their grenades to compensate for the lack of launch that Gun Dance has to offer.[/HIDE]

[IMG]
    RX-78 Landrunner

Male gunners have a cooldown .3 seconds shorter, which equates to better zoning.

[IMG]
    Secret Landrunner vs. Backup Landrunner

[HIDE="Male gunners get better offensive zoning, Female gunner's is purely defensive"]
    If both M and F rangers were to max this skill for PvP...

The M ranger gets a 25% chance to summon an extra landrunner, and drops a landrunner with a 5% chance when they get hit.

The F ranger gets a 50% chance to drop a landrunner when they get hit.

It's your choice of which passive is better, but I would personally prefer the male passive for its offensive zoning. If a female gunner gets combo'd, she won't live very long anyway.[/HIDE]

[IMG]
    M-137 Gatling Gun

Female gatling is faster, therefore causes harder to escape if hit

[IMG]
    M-3 Flame Thrower

[HIDE="Female flamethrower is preferred."]
    Since female gunners hold their subweapons lower to the ground, flamethrower can actually hit things on the ground in PvP. Their flamethrower also has faster tick damage, making it more difficult to walk out of this skill, and making this skill a much better combo starter[/HIDE]

[IMG]
    Steyr AMR

[HIDE=Female Steyr is more reliable.]Because female steyr hits three times, making it less likely for misses to completely ruin this skill.

Male steyr causes more hitstun overtime however. I am no PvP expert, but I see more potential in using male steyr as a combo starter.

Either way, this is an excellent poking skill for both genders.[/HIDE]
  2. Stream Is Starting Anew.

Interesting Read.
    I only played Launcher but I always wondered what exactly was the difference for rangers.

I knew something was fishy with their MHS.

Idk about builds but I would max MHS instead of Gun dance if wild shot is usually maxed in Male builds.
  3. Jormungandr SUPER SWORD

Gun dance definitely has some sort of vacuum, but if your shots hit the mosnters before the vacuum does, the vacuum won't get them.
  4. Archie Mexocan

What? There is a vaccuum?

I haven't played with Gun Dance enough then.
  5. Vibe 8===D~~ O:

is this gonna be strictly dickly with the ranger skills or does it add the common skills
    cause i think the 2 second faster nade drop tips males in pretty deeply
  6. Archie Mexocan

Vibe, you really do have a point. That delay is the sole reason why I didn't get G-14 on my F ranger for utility. M rangers can easily use the grenade to compensate for wildshot's lack of launch.
  7. geenareeno Not gReenareeno

Interesting read, thanks for doing this.
  8. Bernelli Death By Revolver

For fucks sake will someone list EXACTLY what it does for once? "lol it causes bleed" and "lol it makes kicks stronger" is not helpful in the slightest. SOMEONE GIVE THE NUMBERS FOR ONCE.
  9. HellMuT mite b cool

10. ArtSlay _________________________

Totally fell your pain on marilyn rose, the super armor is less than a blink. And jack spike has more reach inside your body, or even a little behind your body.

The shorter CD on rising and head shot are just great. Yet I still hear so many people say F ranger sucks at gun play, noobs are noobs.

Despite the longer CD of spriaggan, punisher just can't match up with it. You actually have to catch something for the CD to be a problem.

MHS can't really be more dangerous. You can always stop shooting if you sense dangerous coming. Stopping at 3rd shot or 4th shot or last shot has the same post fire delay.

Gun dance really isn't that great for damage, it seems like crap damage even catching something right on top of you. But the instant launch is really great in pvp. If you can't keep someone juggled, you need to mash the key harder or more ASPD. The 2nd shot seems to be really slow no matter how fast your mash the key though..
    Gun dance with a cannon and full plate armor was hilarious.

Grenade is really the biggest difference setting male and female gunners apart. There are crap tons of M rangers QQing about my speed and all that, yet they don't see what they can do with a simple drop of grenade.

The passive seems pretty good, bleed strength at lv1 is already 165, almost 5 times as much as gun dance at lv1.

Not sure what the "Additional physical attack power cut" mean. Additional % damage? Or total damage times that %? Seems like good numbers though.

Edit: After reading the original japanese, I think it's means additional piercing damage. :O
  11. Bernelli Death By Revolver

12. Ring "...that's my role."

I have to agree, also you can just smash your keys harder for fast Multis
  13. Archie Mexocan

There's a point where it's just not possible to not shoot any faster
  14. Ring "...that's my role."

What do you mean? it's pretty fast if you time/press the arrow keys. And duh everything has a limit speed but it's still pretty fast.

Or what exactly do you mean.
  15. Archie Mexocan

That was what I meant

I've depended on punisher for invincibility often enough to make it noteworthy
  16. Ring "...that's my role."

Then yo uknow it's fast enough to no be so dangerous :p

also I dont have problems with wisps using sonic like we discussed that other night ... but stalkers are a bitch.
  17. Archie Mexocan

So sonic spike is still an iffy move against fairies =p
  18. Vibe 8===D~~ O:

secret landrunner
  19. ArtSlay _________________________

In pve it's a different story, everything is so dumb. But I have to agree punisher is better for that purpose.
    Same goes for males, if not slower. So no, it's not more dangerous, it's just better.
  20. Archie Mexocan

Lol, might as well add every non-class skill that's used in PvP