Welcome to Dungeon Fighter Online Forums!
A Dungeon Fighter Online fansite, based around the mechanics of the game.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Battle Mage PvP Build Guide

Discussion in 'Mage Guides' started by FenixStryk, May 3, 2010.

1. FenixStryk Member

The following is a short guide for Battle Mages at the current 50 cap, aimed towards PvP builds. I will shortly describe each ability and recommend Skill Point expenditures.

The Battle Mage is a combo-heavy class that relies on a unique mechanic to keep their combo chains afloat: Chasers. Chasers can be triggered immediately after any melee attack and are generated by using specific melee attack abilities. Proper use of Chasers is what separates the average Battle Mage from the masters.

Battle Mage Attacks
    Weapon Uppercut: MAX+Cancel
    The Battle Mage's linchpin ability. Unlike other launching attacks, this one lacks the Super Armor state. Instead, it has the ability to approach from different angles in an A- or V-shape (by holding Up or Down, respectively). Weapon Uppercuts generate Light Chasers.

Dragon Fang: 5+Cancel
    An average X-axis poke that's a great follow-up to XXX attacks. Dragon Fang can innately cancel into Weapon Uppercut, Palm Blast or Full Swing as long as Dragon Fang connects with an opponent; if it misses, it instead leaves you in a short after-cast delay. Dragon Fangs generate Water Chasers.

Palm Blast: 10+Cancel or Max+Cancel
    A very strong attack that propels the Battle Mage forward for massive damage. This ability can be charged; releasing Palm Blast after charging for 0.5 seconds gives you the Super Armor status effect for the duration of the attack, increases damage dealt and increases the distance you move forward. Palm Blast can be used while stationary if you hold Back before releasing the attack. Palm Blasts generate Fire Chasers.

10 Palm Blast is recommended for the current level cap; your SP budget will be strained if you choose to max it prior to level 60. Palm Blast Cancel is recommended for mobility purposes.

Stabbing Wheel: 5+Cancel
    An excellent grab with significant X-axis range. Stabbing Wheel hooks an opponent onto the weapon and flips them over the Battle Mage, slamming them onto the floor behind her and dealing splash damage. Invulnerable for the duration of the attack unless it fails to connect. Stabbing Wheels generate Shadow Chasers.

Full Swing: 3 or 5+Cancel
    A strong attack that swings the weapon completely around the Battle Mage. Hits behind the Battle Mage, but has more range in front of her. This ability has significant Y-axis reach and is used primarily as a Y-axis opener.

The Cancel is not entirely necessary, but can be useful if you whiff an XXX and your opponent is approaching from the Y-axis.

Chaser Press: 0 or 1
    An attack with a 1.0 second cast time that consumes all chasers to deal notable damage. Not particularly useful since Chaser Launcher deals better overall damage and setting up Chaser Press can be difficult due to the cast time. Used mainly to consume Chaser buffs if no opponents are nearby and your Chasers are about to expire.

Punto Wave: 1
    A fast attack that deals 6 to 10 pokes and ends with a Full Swing that has significantly more range. Tapping the hotkey increases the amount of hits dealt. The final swing knocks back opponents. Punto Wave can be canceled early by pressing the Jump key. This ability awards Super Armor for the duration of the attack.

Meteor Dash: 1
    An "upgraded" version of Palm Blast with increased range and damage; an extremely quick attack that propels the Battle Mage forward, launching all opponents it contacts before returning the Mage to the starting point. This ability can be charged; releasing Meteor Dash after charging for 1.0 seconds gives you the Super Armor status effect for the duration of the attack, increases damage dealt and increases the distance you move forward.

This is the fastest move in your arsenal and arguably the best poke in the entire game.

Gold Dragon Spear: MAX
    It's the Super Sword! This is the pinnacle of power in the Battle Mage arsenal. Summons a large spear and thrusts it forward, grabbing all enemies hit by the blade and striking them with several Dragon Chasers. This ability awards the Super Armor effect for the duration of the attack. This attack will end early if no enemies are hit by the initial thrust. However, if at least one enemy is caught by the thrust, Dragon Chasers will deal splash damage to all nearby enemies.

Battle Mage Abilities
    Mana Shield: MAX
    MUST BE MAXED! The ultimate defensive ability. Transfers a significant percentage of HP damage to your MP pool instead.

Leveling Mana Shield increases the percentage of damage transferred. In addition, the percentage will remain static after casting; as such, stacking +Mana Shield gear prior to applying the buff can be useful for increased absorption.

Phase Shift: MAX
    The Battle Mage's secret weapon, used to escape nasty combos. When hit by an enemy attack, the Mage can replace herself with a straw replica and teleport to a nearby location, avoiding further damage. The doll can later be grabbed by yourself or an ally, increasing Movement/Attack Speed and Strength/Intelligence. The teleport location can be controlled by aiming with the Arrow Keys prior to activating Phase Shift.

Level 1 Phase Shift has a post-warp immobility duration of 1 second; long enough for the move to be punishable. At Level 10, that duration is 0.55 seconds, which allows you to use it offensively.

You want this move maxed. If lowering the cooldown and strengthening the straw doll buff isn't enough reason, then cutting the immobility duration in half should be.

Spear Mastery / Stick Mastery: MAX (only one)
    Increases your damage and critical strike rate for Spear- and Pole-type weapons. Pole Mastery are recommended for PvP builds due to their innately higher Attack Speed. At a later time, Pole Mastery will award Hit Rate instead of Crit Rate; yet another reason to use Poles.

If you choose to use Spears, you will have more reach and deal more damage per attack; however, Spears are primarily a PvE weapon.

Chaser Generator: 1, 5 or Max
    A buff that generates chasers innately every X seconds. In addition, this ability gives you a chance to generate extra chasers and larger chasers when using melee attacks and performing combos. Chaser Generator generates the last Chaser you have created normally by an attack; if have not made any chasers, it will generate a Neutral Chaser by default.

Generally left at 1 for the current level cap. Innately generates 3 chasers at Levels 1-4, 4 chasers at Levels 5-9, and 5 chasers at Level 10. As such, it is recommended that you reach exactly level 5 or 10 if you choose to invest into this buff.

Battle Mage Chasers
    Generally, a Battle Mage maxes two chaser types and gets 1 level in other chasers for utility. I personally recommend MAXing only Neutral and Light; if you try to max a third, you will have to cut one or the other due to SP constraints.

Neutral Chaser: 10 (for Super Sword) or MAX
    Generated by the third X attack in an XXX combo. Increases Movement Speed when consumed. One of the two most important chasers for a PvP Battle Mage. This chaser momentarily suspends an opponent in the air when triggered.

Light Chaser: MAX
    Generated by Weapon Uppercut. Increases Attack Speed when consumed. One of the two most important chasers for a PvP Battle Mage. This chaser launches an airborne enemy even higher when triggered.

Fire Chaser: 0, 1 or MAX (recommended SP dump if free SP is available)
    Generated by Palm Blast. Increases Strength when consumed. This chaser knocks back enemies when triggered. Level 1 Fire Chaser is recommended so that you can trade Palm Blast with another attack and win due to Chaser Launcher.

Shadow Chaser: 0, 1 or MAX
    Generated by Stabbing Wheel. Increases Physical Crit Rate when consumed. This chaser pulls enemies closer when triggered, making it harder to use than other chasers. Level 1 Shadow Chaser is recommended so that you will always be able to continue Stabbing Wheel OTGs if no other chasers are available.

Water Chaser: 0, 1 or MAX
    Generated by Dragon Fang. Increases Physical Defenses when consumed; in addition, snares enemy opponents for three seconds. This chaser momentarily suspends enemies in the air when triggered.

Generally left at 1 or skipped. This is the only chaser I could possibly recommend skipping, if at all.

Non-Battle Mage Abilities
    Backstep: 1+Cancel
    An extremely important ability. Allows you to cancel normal X attacks and move backwards a short distance. Without this ability, you will ONLY be able to move forward while using X attacks and your other cancels, making your movements extremely predictable.

I strongly recommend that you get this move; it will save your life. There is no excuse not to.

Quick Rebound: 1 (i.e. MAX)
    While on the ground, triggering this ability allows you to sit inside invulnerability frames until the key is released. Holding down the hotkey increases the duration. Lasts up to 3 seconds in PvE, 1 in PvP.

Hired Summon: Panzer Hodor: 0, 1, 5 or 10
    This gremlin bowler is an extremely useful distraction and game-changer. He is most notable for his Power Smasher attack, which stuns enemies. With this summon, you get what you pay for; you'll want to invest into this skill if you want him to be useful.

-At Level 1, he is frail and generally passive. He is not particularly useful at this level, but is still worth summoning.
    -At Level 5, he becomes more aggressive and unlocks his Spreading Rocks attack; great for zoning (and even for approaching, with the right timing).
    -At Level 10, he becomes hardier and even more aggressive. In addition, he unlocks his Bowling Ball attack, which can be useful at times.

I personally recommend Level 5 or 10. Level 1 just doesn't get the job done, and skipping it entirely means no Spreading Rock and no Power Smasher.

Disenchant: 0, 1, 4 or MAX
    A cast time ability that dispels enemy buffs. Leveling this ability increases the amount of buffs dispelled as well as increasing the range of the attack. In a later version, successfully dispelling buffs will also buff the Battle Mage. Extremely useful for dispelling moves like Mana Shield, Keiga and Revenge of Light.

For now, I recommend Level 4 so you can dispel two buffs. Later on, you will want to max it to increase your buff's strength.

With all of the above in mind, here is a frame build if you still don't know what to do:
    Lv50 Battle Mage Skeleton PvP Build

In addition, here is a personal build that I recommend:
    Fenix's Lv50 Battle Mage PvP Build

The only thing my personal build sacrifices is Full Swing cancel and two levels in Neutral Chaser (which means 2% less Movement Speed). I strongly believe that this is the best build for the current level cap. That said, there is always room to tune a build for your personal preferences.

Thank you for reading. I hope you found this guide useful.
  2. 13Red New Member

Good Guide Fenix, I think spears arent as bad for pvp as everyone says they are though.
  3. Jormungandr SUPER SWORD

I'd say spears are situational. Of course poles are faster and are probably more powerful due to pole mastery, but there are many times I like to switch to my beam spear in order to have range on the opponent.
  4. 13Red New Member

Exactly, its nice to have both available to you to switch when the situation calls for it.
  5. Jormungandr SUPER SWORD

This is also why I'm still deciding between pole and spear mastery. I still don't have any of the masteries, but I'm still doing fine in pvp. I REALLY want that long ass lvl 55 pink spear, but I doubt I'll get that :<