Welcome to Dungeon Fighter Online Forums!
A Dungeon Fighter Online fansite, based around the mechanics of the game.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

I have a question.

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Rob, May 9, 2010.

1. Rob 別の方法でまだ考える

If this forum is to DFOSource as SP is to SleepyWood, what does it have to offer?

Question is, people go to Southperry and stay at last because they are seeking for extractions, and they find out the community is pretty nice.

I'm pretty positive ASS will have a great community and a great staff, but is the wiki enough? Wikis are pretty useful, but anonymous. I mean, let's just look at Hidden Street. They sort of work as a wiki but their forums are dead.

Spaz? Ryan?
  2. Archie Mexocan

If I wanna be drastic, I could totally remove my two guides and put a more up-to-date version here :)
  3. LHCGreg Code monkey like Fritos

You have a valid point. Other reasons to stay here are the fact that I'm actually around do stuff and take care of any problems and the blazing fast server. I do have a couple other things planned, which I am not going to say any more about because they might not work out, but one of them does involve the forum, would require registration to take part in, and would be pretty awesome if it works.

With that said, I share your concern that this forum will fail to generate a critical mass of members.
  4. Archie Mexocan

We just need publicity, don't we?
  5. TofuYoshi とうふヨッシー

Hidden-Street isn't the only way something can turn out. For example, Serebii, which many know for its up-to-date bulletins and bits of information, has a large forum base as well. Bulbapedia, which is also known for its wiki, boasts a very large user-base. Global Trade Station, which is mostly known for GPX+, has an even larger forum base as well (although, this could be partially due to the fact that it started as a forum, later creating GPX+).

...I've got to stop using Pokemon examples. >.>
    Tl;dr: A lot of sites that don't just focus on a wiki/guide/knowledge base/other random functions have large forums as well.
  6. Greg Space Cowboy

This forum doesn't need to "offer" anything. Fiel's reputation as a data extractor on Sleepywood helped him achieve a userbase that to this day doesn't even compare to Sleepywood's, but that's alright. It's got a better staff as well as a superior userbase; that's all that will ever matter. The difference between you and Fiel is that you don't have much to offer. Luckily, you don't need any kind of edge to compete against the Sleepywood of DFO forums.

Take a good look at your competition, Spaz. How could you possibly be worried about anything? We don't need CRITICAL MASS or publicity of any of that garbage. Do things right and you'll get the userbase that you expect out of this forum. I'm not worried at all seeing how you've got Fiel backing you up and Ryan at your side, on top of you being a pretty swell individual yourself.

I'm so excited.
  7. Mark Hyperion

Yeah, for real. DFO Source is like a zoo. With an active administration team along with an actual group of GOOD moderators, this site is already leagues ahead.
  8. Rob 別の方法でまだ考える

Well I never meant ASS to have a huge userbase either since 2 of the examples I used in the OP have userbases out of this forum or Southperry's league.

Point is you don't want the forum to be dead. I guess we all want to see the forum succeed. At least in its own way.

On the topic of Serebii and Bulbapedia, you can't compare the fanbase Pokemon has to that of a MMORPG like MapleStory or DFO. It's way larger. Imagine a "small" forum like SP but for Pokemon instead. The 5,5k users would be like 15k and only talking about active.
  9. Fiel New Member

Doesn't Greg have a reputation at DFOSource for being a data extractor? While he doesn't provide extractions in the same way I do (though if I could figure out the new encryption of the #!$#%! Script.pvf file he could), he can populate a wiki very quickly with useful and accurate data. Furthermore, I was able to supply Greg with Script.pvf files from JDnF and CDnF which use the older encryption and works with my unpacker. And he's got his programming skills as well - such as his extremely popular control panel and npk switcher. So yeah, he's at least got some stuff to work with.

Also, better forum management and userbase do go a long way. If users want this forum to succeed, then it will succeed. Continue posting here to show your support. I will offer Greg whatever support I can to get his forum up and running and I will let anyone and everyone know to come to SSA and not DFOSource. SP does have a small community of DFO players. I'm certain most of them will try SSA instead of DFOSource once they know about it.

A critical mass of members is not important. Gathering users that come back day after day after day is most important. If you look at SP, there are maybe only 50 - 100 people that regularly post on a day to day basis and the others don't post near as often. But really, that's all you need.
  10. Soushin The Novice

I agree with what most people said here. A good root (admin) and dedicated branches (members) are enough to make a successful forum. As long as the admins, the mods, and the members keep taking care of the forum, it will only get better, never worse.
  11. Glamador Use My Voice Pack Darnit!

The only thing keeping me coming back to DFOSource at all at this point is the marketplace section. There aren't enough people here for somebody to have what I want yet.
  12. saccharin That one crazy witch

We don't need a mass of members. The only reason we need a populated forum is for marketing/selling/trading, etc.

Personally I wouldn't mind if this forum stayed relatively smaller.
  13. Fellhound Regret

I don't know about you all, but I kind of prefer a forum to not have too many people.

Otherwise, there's bound to be loads of unsavory characters.

But then again, I'm just a user who's along for the ride.
  14. Heidi Member

I'm hoping that any problematic people will eventually get banned for their actions anyway.

And hopefully we do gain some members that join just to use the marketplace section
  15. Stream Is Starting Anew.

I am a sucker for smaller close-knit communties

16. saccharin That one crazy witch

That's like a good portion of DFOsource's members. There are some people with 500-1k coins that have 0 posts, since marketplace posts don't count for anything.
  17. Heidi Member

LOL I first thought you were replying to the first part of my post.

And to be honest, I do want to see this forum get really active, largely for the fact that it'd be nice for that forum owner to actually get a bit of money (Through ads that from my understanding are getting added soon) for his hard work.
  18. saccharin That one crazy witch

I don't think Spaz is making this forum to make money..

but it would be nice if it were self-sustaining.
  19. Heidi Member

I never said he was... Not the main reason anyway. But it's always nice to get a little bit.
  20. saccharin That one crazy witch

Of course, I think he'd deserve some compensation for all the work he's putting in.