Welcome to Dungeon Fighter Online Forums!
A Dungeon Fighter Online fansite, based around the mechanics of the game.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

Short Spammish Post Removal

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Thuvian, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Thuvian Member

With the increased traffic from DFOSource being down there has been an increase in spam-like posting. By spam-like I'm referring to short nontopic posts like this. In this example I made a joke about BattleMages inside a larger more informational post. Then a series of 1 line posts followed about the joke. Such posts are useless and distracting to any user trying to gain useful information from the forum. While there may or may not have been an initial valid reason for the posting it and its subsequent posts take up a large amount of space for no additional informational gain. It would be nice if there was a way to mark posts for removal without penalty to the posters. This procedure would obviously not be used in the Spam Forums, only in the content forums.

A side wish would be that we could limit the "New Posts" search to a specific subset of forums. I have no interest in the Spam Forums, but do wish to keep up to date on the other forums. I'm fairly certain that others feel the same way. This isn't to belittle the purpose or place of the Spam Forums, but I simply do not wish to deal with them. Likewise I'm pretty sure many users don't want to have to see postings from the Mage Forums or Market Forums.
  2. Greg Space Cowboy

No kidding. Shitty uncontributive one-liners are all over and it's annoying. No use even reporting them; I've tried and nothing fucking happens. Seeing how both of our moderators are DFOSource veterans, chances are it comes off as normal and harmless to them. Well it's not; it's retarded and makes me want to hang myself just so I don't have to browse SSA and feel like I'm browsing a clone of DFOSource.

I support this idea because it saves busy people with lives, such as myself, from having to explain why a useless, shitty and uncontributive post is what it is. Members of SSA tend to get sore over time, though, and I could easily foresee such a system being abused in the future.
  3. Heidi Member

Report stupid pointless annoying messages. Remember mods don't check everything themselves.
  4. Heidi Member

LOL @ the idea of forum janitors. Grag should hire the most annoying forum users for that horrible job :p
    I'm thinking make Ring a janitor. Then he can clean up his own mess too while he's at it ;P
  5. LHCGreg Code monkey like Fritos

The example you gave was only 3 posts. For larger derailments, report a post and the string of off-topic posts may be split or deleted as appropriate.

The "Marketplace" and "Non-Marketplace" tabs at the top allow you to do a "new posts" search that either includes only marketplace posts or excludes marketplace posts. For other possibilities, you can use a URL of the form [noparse]http://www.superswordaction.com/forum/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post&exclude=29,30,31,32,33,34[/noparse] where 29,30,31 etc are the forum ids of the forums you wish to exclude. You can get the forum ID of a forum by looking at its URL. For example, General DFO is [noparse]http://www.superswordaction.com/forum/forumdisplay.php/12-General-DFO[/noparse] and its forum ID is 12. You can bookmark your custom search.
  6. Greg Space Cowboy

They're everywhere. Even if people started reporting them you'd probably just disregard them because they're "harmless" or "funny" or some stupid shit like that. I clicked on a random thread from the forum index and found three spamworthy posts, and I could do the same with various other threads. It's not very difficult. Thing is, Greg, it doesn't matter how many examples I show you because I'll show you so goddamn many that you'll think "I can't infract all of these posts. Posts like that are practically normal around here. They'll think I'm being too hard on them. They'll think I'm an unfun admin".

You should be learning from Dom's mistakes, bro.
  7. Soushin The Novice

Get your facts straight.

Since you've joined SSA in May 2010, you reported only three posts. All of the three posts have been punished accordingly.
  8. Thuvian Member

Spam-less New Thread Link (If anyone else wants it).
    http://www.superswordaction.com/forum/search.php?do=getnew&contenttype=vBForum_Post&exclude=29,30,31,32,33,34,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,49

re: LHCGreg Thanks for the tip. Sorry about all the trouble.

I seemed to have stirred up a hornets nest. So, one thing that I want to reiterate is that I'm not trying to get people penalized for making post like these, I'd just like to have a method for their removal that doesn't over burden the administration. If you've read my posts you know that I'm trying to make the Forums better places and not starting drama. Also, since Greg seems to have become the champion of this movement, I'm going to quiet down and try not to distract from his better worded arguments. However, I would ask if a possible solution would be to report them with the reason like, "No content, please remove without infraction." or something similar?
  9. Greg Space Cowboy

You're making me blush! =^o^=

But no, seriously, don't do that. Every time I argue over forum issues, it ends in a thread lock because somebody gets ass-pained after being proven wrong. They'll listen better to an undercover member such as yourself, since nobody else seems to care about spam and other annoyances that plague the forum. You haven't stirred up a hornet's nest yet, and even if you do, that's okay; you made this thread because you're tired of seeing spam on SSA, and you should continue pushing your point until people understand.

No need to be so assertive, BRO! I was more or less referring to the last post that I reported. I checked on it like two days after I reported it to see if any action was taken, and surprise surprise; no infraction.

Maybe I'd report more posts if I had more confidence in the moderation team. Back when you modded on DFOSource I remember having to argue with you because you infracted me for calling a user a female when they were in fact a male. It was the stupidest dispute I've ever had to make in my entire internet life and made me lose all faith in your moderation ability. Just my two cents; thank me later. Furthermore, another one of SSA's moderators is notorious for posting a shit ton and plenty of said posts are the uncontributive one-liners that this thread exists because of. It's quite unsettling.
  10. Soltis Carried by Sandors

I think Thuvian has the right idea at least for the class subforum, because theres really almost no reason for common chitchat there.
    Just some kind of system to have a thread shorted down without having to bug the individual member who posted it and "hope" hes kind enough to remove it, as there are alot of people who make like list and etc in the class forums.

Just being able to report and say something like "remove to cleanup thread" would probably be the simplest way and not require any new kind of options or etc to be added anywhere.

As far as the other forums go, I don't really understand honestly. At the end of the day not everyone needs a paragraph to sum up their thoughts on something.
    "lolmangastream" basically = haha this guy is actually concerned about mangastream, that place is laughable.

I also gotta be honest, rants are basically just an angry form of spam more or less.
  11. Thuvian Member

I seem to have clouded my point again. Thanks for pointing it out Soltis (seriously, without you guys I probably confuse more people than not). I am not trying to reform most of the forums, just the ones that are clarity-appropriate. The forums I'd suggest should be maintained as "clean" are the class forums, the general questions forum, and the general DFO forum. All of the Social Forums would be left alone.
  12. Soushin The Novice

Again, get your facts straight. Not my fault if you're the one who started your most stupidest dispute for something that wasn't even an infraction.
  13. Greg Space Cowboy

And not everyone wants a one-word reply. This is a forum, not a chat room. They're different. If you want to use one-liners, images, or single words to describe your feelings on a subject, go to the IRC, the spam forum, or get the fuck out. Yes, I understand exactly what that user meant by posting "lolmangastream", but that doesn't and never will justify having one-word posts on a forum. Forums aren't meant for that. It wouldn't be difficult for me to summarize how I feel about something with only one word, but at the end of it all, my posts is the most useless and uncontributive of them all because of it. If some user was like, "I just failed my driving test", and I said "stupid", one could interpret that as either "How could you not pass such a simple test? With even a little bit of practice, it is among the easiest of all important tests you will take throughout your entire life", or instead, as a simple one-word insult that doesn't contribute to the problem or the thread at all.

My biggest problem with spam in the ranting forum is the fact that many rants are sensitive and really do come from inside. Believe it or not, there's a lot of things that users post in the ranting forum that I'm sure they tell nobody else. For some, ranting about sensitive issues on the internet is easy and takes away from some of the stress, and SSA might just be their place to do most of it. Spamming in somebody else's thread is like saying "I don't give a fuck about you or your problem, but here's a stupid unrelated comment or retarded 4-year-old image from 4chan to help lighten up the mood". It's pathetically annoying and selfish overall. It happened a ton in Heidi's most recent rant, and SURPRISE! Absolutely nothing was done about it.

Doesn't matter to me. I started the dispute because it was unjust. It was also overturned because it was unjust. Dom even apologized to me for having to put up with you. It was arguably the best moment of my entire life.
  14. Heidi Member

I find the spam a lot less harmless than users that constantly complain about the admin and the moderation team. Just sayin.

I have noticed that the spam tends to be the worst in beserk rage. tbh I think the rule should be more relaxed there than it is in other forums anyway. Sometimes making a joke of things is best. I wasn't really a fan of the spam in my recent thread at first, but in hindsight the spam wasn't the problem, it was the users complaining about the spammers and arguing which was the reason that I requested the thread be locked. Ring was just being Ring. We all know ranting is srz bsns, so lets treat it like srz bsns. Grag, could you please make it official that spam rule is relaxed in that forum?

As for spam elsewhere... how much of it actually gets reported? I lol'ed at the fact that Greg has only reported 3 posts yet makes such a fuss. Major jumping to conclusions. How about you actually report posts and then base your opinion on FACT rather than SPECULATION? Give them a freaking chance, geeze.

I could post 10000 words and it could still be spam.

Have some faith in Gragary. Seriously. I think he's doing a great job :)
  15. Greg Space Cowboy

Is this is a joke? Did you put any thought into this proposal at all? Do you know why ranting forums even exist?
  16. Soushin The Novice

For the third time, get your facts straight. Dom never apologized to you.
  17. Heidi Member

I don't really care what the outcome is though tbh.

The biggest thing I want to see is people not getting away with trolling and flaming mods and admins.
  18. Greg Space Cowboy

You convinced me to log in to DFOS and check for myself, and you're absolutely right. I'm sorry. I brought our dispute up to David and he apologized to me instead. Are you satisfied? It would seem that you and I are discussing something that doesn't necessarily pertain to the topic at hand, and I'm responsible for having used our scenario as a completely point. If you'd like, we can discuss this in visitor messages for all to see. Private messaging makes me feel insecure and alone.

Well, gee, if only everybody on SSA had this kind of attitude, all of our problems would solve themselves.
  19. Thuvian Member

How about them <insert local sports team>?

So, since I'm already behaving like a nosy busy-body, I might was well go full out.

Really folks, I don't think this is the time or place for this sort of thing. We are all working towards a common goal here, we are trying to make the SSA Forums a nicer more useful place. Personal attacks, no matter how valid or based in fact they are, are not going to accomplish that goal. Sure these events will flavor our interactions with others, and sure we won't ever truly forget them. Still though, we need to move past these things and act like civilized people. "An Eye for an Eye" is a great idea, but eventually we all end up blind, do we really want that?

My beliefs are:
    • Everyone here is trying to making SSA Forums a good place.
    • That SSA Administration tries to be responsible and just.
    • Everyone is trying their hardest to be fair and just, but again, we are human, failures happen. That doesn't mean that we won't keep trying.
    • Mr. Rogers is an under-appreciated Role model.

If you agree with these sentiments, might I suggest that you voluntarily remove such inflammatory and unnecessary comments from your posts?
  20. saccharin That one crazy witch

I can't say I disagree with the cleaning up of some of the more "serious" parts of the forum.

Frankly, you've got my hesitation down pat. I hesitate to hand out infractions because I don't necessarily want to make some of the users on the forum "butthurt" for lack of a better word.

Removal of the tangent posts and other non sequitur seems like a solid idea though.